Tuesday 10 April 2007

Memories...

yesterday the weather was awesome. A light breeze blowing through the windows, rays of sunlight softly entering through the light curtains...and everything was so tranquil. My favorite word: tranquil. It just brings peace into the conversation. I was sitting alone in the living room, after everyone had gone off doing something. It was about 3 or 4 pm, we had just had lunch, and everything was just peaceful. In our house, there was what seemed like the whole family! At least all the women in the family (and we are a BIG family); although this was just a small gathering to bid farewell to those going on a 3omra, it still seemed like a lot of people under one roof. I LOVED IT! I love having people over and sharing all the love, laughter, food (very important in our family!), and ideas. It was even more cool because some of those people were staying over at our place for a couple nights, not just coming for a visit.

So it was a beautiful evening, everyone had just eaten and some went off to nap, pray or do whatever. I was sitting alone in that beautiful breeze. To add to that, the streets were dead outside because of easter holiday, everyone was home or away or something. It reminded me of those "good 'ol days" when the whole family would gather in my uncle's villa in King Mariut. It would always be in Eid holidays, summer vacations, any 2 days off we could get really!! If I were to judge, these would be the best times I spent in my life, next to that would be the summers we spent in Agami. Two of my aunts and us had appartments there, right infront of the beach, and my other two aunts would come and spend a week or two with us. It was heaven for me, because suddenly they would decide, and my mom and aunts would start calling their cousins and uncles to invite them over. Oh it was so amazing! The kids (meaning me and my three cousins) would go downstairs to wait for their cars to arrive and help them with carrying the stuff. These were ecstatic moments for me.

It was only yesterday, at that moment that I had all those flashbacks, that I realized that one of my most peaceful moments is when I'm sitting in a breeze like that with beautiful, shy sunrays. Nothing in the world could bring me down, it helps me take my mind off everything that's going wrong in my world.

Anyway...it was nice remembering all those things :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi again,

    I just liked writing comments :)
    U know, i adore sham el nessim, i had always dream about spending this day on the beach from sunrise till sunset with the one i love, dancing salsa & slow throught the light breeze, eating our BQ & enjoying the day together, this day didn't come yet but i'm not worried as i'm still 22 :)))
    The moral of the story: reading wut u wrote reminds me of a french, classic novel of Marcel Proust "La Recherche Du Temps Perdu" (In search of lost time), in the first volume he used the anamnesis brought on by the taste of a madeleine (genre de gateaux francais) which reminds him of his aunt who used to baked it for him. U can find a lot of Remembrance throught this novel, try to read it, you will really love it.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thanks for the comment, I enjoyed reading it; and thanks for the book recommendation, I love reading and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I hope it's not written in French though, I'm not up to the level of reading French novels yet!! I'll look for an English copy.

    I hope to hear more memories and thoughts from more people, after all, this is the place to share these kind of things :)

    See you all in the best of health, happiness, and faith :)

    ReplyDelete

Can't WAIT to read your comments ;)