Tuesday 2 October 2007

To Cook...Or Not To Cook


I have reached this point in my life where I must think what I want to do. I am free to become whatever my heart desires. Well, anything except maybe a dentist. It’s a long story. So I wake up every morning, with one question on my mind: who am I? the question may seem irrelevant to the issue at hand, but in order for me to know what I want to do, I should start by knowing who I am. The thing about my situation is, I do a lot of things. That’s a good thing. Or is it? I’ve been drinking tonnes of water lately, but that’s another story. If being a multi-talented person is a good thing, I’d say that’s because it gives me the space to do whatever I fancy. On the other hand, it is like you’re the joker in the deck, that blank domino that just goes wherever you want it. I cook, write, paint, design. I’m creative and I love doing adverts. I’m horrible with finances though. I suck at it. I’m most likely to turn a sum into a clever drawing or a recipe than tell you 2 x 2 = 4 (FIY I had to check with my calculator for that!) I’m starting to consider putting math skills as a requirement in my “ideal guy”, someone has to help the kids with homework!

Everytime I start thinking about what I’d love to do with my life, I end up not wanting to do anything at all. I start off with the usual write-down-my-skills-fiasco, and then all hell breaks loose. I want to be this, I want to do that. Suddenly I’m the world’s best designer, cook, restaurant owner, blah blah. It’s thought and time consuming. Not to mention that in the crazy twist of things, I realize it will take me ages before I actually Become any of these things. Maybe I should work freelance. I never really liked the idea of working steady (yes, that too is a long story) so I was kind of not thinking of getting involved in anything at the moment. However, the idea of working from home or working freelance may just be the thing for me.

This just in: Does spending your evenings on your living room couch with your laptop in your lap thinking of where your life is headed actually make you a grown-up? I’m going to be writing a lot about this whole grown-up business those days. It is, after all, the story of my life now. I hear that this is the time you should be starting to think of growing up.

Behold people, I shall soon become a…uh…Big Girl :)


2 comments:

  1. Your precisely talking about me , if i would write my thoughts down it would be every single word u wrote , i just can't beleive that !! oh mm im a multitalented person too well surprisengly in the same areas u said ... and now im really those days lost wanna really really find out who i want to become its funny to find a picture in a mirror for myself . curious to know what ur up to .

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this is awesome! I'm not alone in this world after all!!

    you know what haidy, i decided that the thing that brings joy to my heart more than anything else is cooking. And i decided that if i don't do the thing that makes me happy in life, then life just ain't worth living, is it? i'm focusing my efforts and time now on perfecting my cooking. My goal is to become the best female pastry chef and baker in the world. And one day, i plan to have a bakery of my own. I can see it bright and clear.

    The one thing i can tell you right now, is never let anyone take your light away. you do what you believe in, and if you believe in it enough, all the circumstances will be in your favor and will help you be the best you can.

    I do hope you come back to read this, i know what you're going through and i know how difficult and confusing it can be. Good luck friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Can't WAIT to read your comments ;)